Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Honey-Poppy Seed Cornish Hens

Sounded good, so I decided to try it!

Honey-Poppy Seed Cornish Hens
Yield 4 servings (or 2 hungry adults!)

Ingredients

2 Rock Cornish hens
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
  2. Spray rack of shallow roasting pan with non-stick spray. 
  3. Cut each hen in half; place skin side down in roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
  4. Whisk together the honey, poppy seeds, mustard and ginger. Brush over both sides of the hens. 
  5. Roast uncovered for 1 hour turning once.

__________
Review--

This was VERY delicious, my picky 3 year old had seconds!

It took longer to cook than the recipe says... about 70 minutes instead of 60, but the extra time is worth the wait.

I couldnt see how you could "whisk" the honey mixture together, so I put it into a small sauce pan and heated it just until the honey melted and then drizzled it over the hens. I was disappointed that the flavor didnt go all the way into the hen so I made up another batch of the sauce to drizzle onto the bird when we needed it.

I think I will be making this again, but probably on drumsticks instead of cornish hens because you lose so much of the sauce when pulling apart the bird! (though its VERY juicy and you can use that to "dip" pieces of the bird into it.)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment