Monday, May 17, 2010

Paw Pia Thawt (Thai deep fried springrolls)


I have a friend from Laos that makes the most awesome egg rolls EVER. But she moved to another state and hasn't logged into her myspace in forever so I cant get the recipe! So I'm trying out this recipe by chef Kai because it looked the best out of any I've seen so far. I wont be putting in the mushroom though because if I did my husband wouldn't eat them! Chef Kai didn't post any written directions just had a video of him making them with a list of ingredients, so I typed this out, hope its not too confusing. I'm adding in the video so that if there is any confusion you can watch that as well.

Paw Pia Thawt 
(Thai deep fried spring rolls)

Ingredients
1/2 lb ground pork
1 cup cabbage (shredded)
1 cup carrot (shredded)
1 cup mushroom (shredded)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 egg (for recipe)
2 buns of bean thread noodle (soak in water for 15 min)
25 sheets of spring roll wrapper
4 cup cooking oil (for frying)
1 egg, beaten (for sealing)

Directions
  1. Soak your bean thread noodles for 15 minutes.
  2. Add first list of ingredients, and mix well. Set aside.
  3. Carefully separate first sheet of egg roll wrapper, place like a diamond in front of you.
  4. Add in 2 tbsp of filling on bottom 4th of wrapper. Roll spring roll up one roll, fold in sides, roll two more rolls.
  5. Take beaten egg and brush on the point of the egg roll to seal, finish rolling up roll.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 until all spring rolls have been rolled.
  7. Heat wok on medium high heat, add oil. Deep fry until golden brown (8-10 minutes). Rembemer to slide the egg rolls into the pan not to "dunk" them into the pan. 



______
Review:
Made the spring rolls.. SO good. I didn't use the mushroom in them and doubled the pork. It didn't make 25, more like 18, but even that was more than enough for my family. I'm totally stuffed with no room for the fried wontons I made for dessert! Update: Made this with tofu the other day, just as awesome!



Tofu Spring rolls


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment