Thursday, September 16, 2010

White Chocolate Cupcakes


White Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients
8 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
½ cup lowfat yogurt
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 wells of a muffin pan with papers and set aside. 
  2. Put the white chocolate into double boiler or a heat-proof bowl set over barely simmering water (not touching the water). 
  3. Heat until the chocolate is melted and smooth 
  4. Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch. 
  5. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set it aside. Whisk the milk, yogurt, and vanilla into a medium bowl and set it aside. 
  6. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of the flour mixture, all of the milk mixture, and the remaining flour mixture, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the melted white chocolate. Mix on low speed to combine. 
  7. Divide the batter between the cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans after 12 minutes; the edges will be lightly golden and a toothpick should come out with a few crumbs attached. Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and let them sit on the rack until they are completely cooled.

_________________

Review:  My batter looked a lot like a loose cookie dough, I could actually spoon it into the cupcake tins and scrape it off the spoon, not like most cake/cupcake recipes I've tried in the past. The batter didnt rise much so you have to fill the cupcake tin pretty full to get a cupcake that is as high or higher than the cupcake liner. The fact that it raises pretty flat is great for cupcake decorating though, so Im happy to see that.

I tasted one (ok two) cupcakes right out of the oven and Im not quite sure what to think about them.  While I taste the white chocolate it is a very light hint of it, and my husband (who I shared the first one with for his opinion) found it sort of bland.  I will be holding off my final judgment until after they've fully cooled.  I do think that they are yummy enough to still eat, but Im unsure if I'd make it again.

I've heard that the quality of the white chocolate increases the white chocolate taste, and I used Ghirardelli classic white chocolate chips, which I generally use for my white chocolate mousses with no issues, so you could try them or try another brand of white chocolate.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment