Monday, October 18, 2010

Chicken Marsala


This is once again another one of McCormick's Recipe Inspirations that you buy the recipe card and pre-measured spices for about $2.  If you wonder why I keep buying these things its because they generally have one or more spices that I dont already have in my over packed spice cabinet and I want to try a recipe with it in it before I commit to buying a bunch of it just for it to waste away in the over full black hole of my spice drawer.
My husband dislikes mushrooms, so since this is his requested birthday meal, I will be leaving them out... I had a hard time finding Marsala Wine, which in all reality is a sweet wine that's infused with hard alcohol, generally a brandy, but to have Marsala chicken, you must have Marsala wine or you will have a Brandy chicken or what have you...  I did find the wine after searching through a few stores, I was offered the choice of either getting Marsala cooking wine, which has a high sodium content or an actual bottle of Marsala wine.  I for one, HATE cooking with any "cooking wine" the sodium content almost always comes into play changing the taste from the real thing, but for some (like those under 21) its your only choice, if you use the cooking wine I would suggest salting the rest of the sauce to taste (I'd add half the salt then add salt to taste later... but thats me).

Chicken Marsala

Ingredients
Spices:
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp Marjoram Leaves
1 tsp Minced Onions

1/2 tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Basil Leaves
3/4 tsp Parsley Flakes

1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
6 thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs)
3 tbsp butter, divided
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg (8oz) sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup Marsala wine

Directions

MIX flour, Minced Garlic, Marjoram, Minced Onions, salt and Pepper in a shallow dish. Reserve 1 tbsp four mixture. Coat chicken with remaining flour mixture.

HEAT 2 tbsp of the butter and oil in large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Cook several of the chicken pieces 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken.  Add mushrooms to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.

MIX broth and reserved flour mixture. Add to skillet along with wine.  Bring to boil, stirring to release browned bits in bottom of skillet. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp butter and Basil; cook 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken to serve. Sprinkle with Parsley.

___________
Review: My kids and husband LOVED it! My super picky girls were done with their chicken before my husband and I even got to the table! They asked for seconds, which I didnt have as I didnt expect them to eat as much as they had.  We will definitely be making this again, but I'll probably have to double the recipe!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Good to know! My daughter 9 just saw this in a magazine and wants to try it. We LOVE the Spanish Chicken Skillet. I make it a lot!

    ReplyDelete