Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mom's Candied Yams with Marshmallows

What can I say? I am a sucker for candied yams with sweet potatoes.  Its the number one side dish I have to have for both Christmas and Thanksgiving.  It brings back pleasant memories of my childhood.  Last year I made it on my own for the first time and asked my mom for her recipe, I love this lady to death but she has yet to give me a recipe with actual amounts for the ingredients aside from "one can of xx" and "some xx".  So here is a very vague recipe for candied yams with marshmallows.

Mom's Candied Yams with Marshmallows

Ingredients
1 can Cut Sweet Potatoes: Cut Yams in Light Syrup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
Maple Syrup (til its easy to mash)
Mini Marshmallows to cover

Directions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400*.  Drain can of yams and put them into a baking dish, add brown sugar. 
  2. Mash the yams adding the maple syrup until the mixture is easy to mash and has a desired consistency. I highly suggest tasting the mixture to make sure you don't "over sweeten it" you may add some of the liquid that came with the yams if you prefer to have a less sweet experience.
  3. Layer with mini marshmallows. 
  4. Cover and bake in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes and marshmallows have melted.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment