Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Orange Cranberry Sauce

When I worked in a deli we had fresh cranberry sauce for only two months out of the year, Thanksgiving and Christmas, any other time that you wanted cranberry sauce you were getting it out of a can.  Not to knock canned cranberry sauce (much) but its never the same as fresh, so those two months out of the year I would buy a lot of cranberry sauce and put it on my sandwiches.. I LOVE turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches. Unlike some when it comes to a turkey sandwich with cranberry I dont muck up the flavors with mayonnaise or tomatoes; I like my sandwich to have a french bread type crust with cranberry sauce smothered on both sides of the bread, some crunchy lettuce and two slices of havarti cheese that is so incredibly creamy and mild -- thats it.  Why you ask? Because cranberry sauce especially fresh cranberry sauce is on its own level of awesomeness and deserves to have the spotlight.
So.. you want to wow your guests and taste-buds this holiday season with some fresh cranberry sauce and gloat that you even made this yourself? Why come on in... I think I might have just the thing for you...

Orange Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (12 oz) fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
zest of one orange (optional)
cinnamon stick (optional)

Directions:
  1. Wash berries and pick off any stems or over ripe berries that may be in the batch. 
  2. In a sauce pan bring sugar and orange juice to a simmer over medium heat.
  3. Reduce heat and add cranberries, orange zest and cinnamon stick. Bring mixture back to a simmer and simmer for around 10 minutes, until all the cranberries have "popped" or split open.  The slower you simmer this the less moisture you lose out of the berries. 
  4. Taste, if the sauce is not as sweet as you would like, you may add more sugar now.. though I wouldn't recommend adding more than 1/2 cup more.
  5. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature before covering and placing in your refrigerator until used. Cranberry sauce keeps exceptionally well and will last you around a week... if your guests don't eat it first!

If you use a cinnamon stick, leave it in over night, or even for a few days.. the longer that it stays in the more flavor that the sauce picks up from the cranberry sauce, just remember to remove it before serving.

Also, if you do not want orange in your cranberry sauce substitute the orange juice with water and omit the orange zest.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I noticed that you are using my photo of Cranberry Sauce. I'm delighted that you like it enough to post it here on your site. I ask that if you would like to continue to use it that you provide attribution (Photo by SimplyRecipes.com) next to the photo with a working link to the source recipe on my site, which is:

    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cranberry_sauce/

    Thank you so much for your consideration!

    Best,

    Elise

    ReplyDelete