Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Rosemary and Bacon Stuffing Balls

Picture from Coconut and Lime

Ok, I'll admit it.  I have never made stuffing from scratch before in my life.  I decided since I'm super mommy this year and am cooking everything all by myself for the first time ever.  It was high time I try something new, different and ... rosemary?

I looked all over the internet and found plenty of different stuffing's to try, most including mushrooms.  One of the few things my husband will NOT eat.  Since he's the main eater of stuffing.. I haven't touched the stuff in years since becoming sick off of some that had been placed inside a bird while cooking; just haven't been able to get myself to eat the stuff since.
I deemed this year will be different! First off I'll be putting in a ton of effort to make it, not to mention the fact that these beauties will NOT I repeat will NOT be put into that bird.
There was not one recipe I liked completely... so I decided to mix a few... while searching "rosemary stuffing" I fell upon these beauties from Coconut & Lime, which gave me the idea of turning them into balls... but something was missing... first off it was to uhh.. mushroom-y and secondly it was too onion-y... so I found a bacon stuffing recipe which was loaded in cheese. No go on my front, I cant handle most melted cheese contraptions.  But I loved the bacon idea... so with those and a few more "traditional" recipes I came up with this... which is basically a mixture of all of them...

Rosemary and Bacon Stuffing Balls



Ingredients
4 Slices Bacon, chopped
1 tbs Butter or Margarine
3 Boiler Onions, chopped (you could use 1/3 onion instead, but I find these more mild)
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 tsp dry sage
1/2 tsp rosemary
2 eggs
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp white pepper
12 cups cubed dry bread


Directions:
Fry bacon until crisp, set aside.
In a large pan, saute onions and celery in butter and olive oil until the onions become translucent but not brown.  Do not brown the onions.
In a large bowl combine the seasonings and the bread cubes. Mix in the cooked vegetables, bacon and eggs, slowly add in the chicken stock to the bread until moist throughout.
Make medium sized balls, balls should be about the size of one serving. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Place balls in the bottom of the roasting pan, on and under the rack around the turkey for the last 1/2 hour of roasting and cook until cooked through.

Makes 8-10 servings



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment