Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Chips


Many do not know that I actually developed an allergy to potatoes as an adult, thus preventing me from being able to enjoy such things as mashed potatoes, fries and most of all potato chips.  Very hesitantly I tried a sweet potato... and low and behold no allergic reaction... found out later that it is because even though the sweet potato is called a potato it actually is a completely different root vegetable all together. (find out more here) Anyways when I'm craving my that wonderful salty crispy goodness known as a potato chip I pull out my mandolin and start slicing away.  Because they are made from sweet potatoes instead of regular white potatoes they are sweet and salty, making them even better than regular potato chips quite often!

Sweet Potato Chips

Ingredients
Sweet Potatoes
vegetable oil (for frying)
Sea Salt (preferably fresh ground)


Directions
  1. In a big pot/pan heat up 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to 350-375*f.
  2. While oil is heating up slice one potato using a mandolin slicer on one of its thinnest settings (if you don't have one start this step before you heat up the oil as it takes much longer). Lay slices out onto a paper towel to absorb some of the excess water from the sweet potato.
  3. Once oil is up to temp put in 10-20 slices of the sweet potato into the hot oil, don't crowd the pan with them because the oil will cool when the chips release their water while frying.  I fry in my wok which allows me to slide the "chips" in one at a time so that they don't stick to each other.
  4. The chips will start turning from a bright orange to a lighter orange color around the edges as it starts to fry, once they do that stir/flip the chips over so that they fry on the other side.  Total frying time should take between 5-10 minutes depending on how thick/thinly you've sliced the chips. I stir a minimum of two times per batch to make sure that they are all fully cooked.
  5. When chips are done remove them from oil using a slotted spoon or skimmer, shake lightly to remove excess oil and drain on a rack that is over paper towels to drain. Sprinkle sea salt onto chips right after they come out of the fryer to make sure that the salt adheres to the chip. 
  6. Once salt has been applied to chips you can transfer to a paper towel lined bowl and shake again to get anymore remaining oil off of the chips... or as in my family eat them right off the cooling rack. (the ones in my picture above were barely even drained before I took a picture because I wanted a picture of them before they had been consumed!)
  7. While the chips are frying slice the next potato.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment