Monday, January 17, 2011

Basics: White Rice

White rice, its simple right? Well apparently not, its the number one thing people have asked me about how to make correctly. Coming from a family that eats quite its share of rice a year, its something I make a lot and have forgotten that it actually can be quite difficult to do correctly when you're first learning.

Growing up my mother always made "Japanese" style rice, which is a basic traditional rice... you measure your water, salt it, let it boil then add your rice.  Wait.. how much water did I put in there again? Whats the equation of white rice to water? Its two parts water to one part rice, by the way... which means to every 1 cup of water add 1/2 cup rice.  I do my rice Thai style, which means I put my water, salt and rice in all at the same time, less confusion later and less time making it, still tastes just as good. We also used this technique when I was working at a deli that was attached to a Chinese fast food restaurant.

White Rice (Thai style) 
My preffered method


Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup white rice
dash salt

Directions:
In a sauce pan pour 1 cup water, 1/2 cup rice and salt, cover with lid.  Heat on high until boiling, immediately turn down heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, fluff, if rice looks "wet" re-cover and cook for remaining 5 minutes.

White Rice (Japanese style)

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup white rice
dash salt

Directions:
In a sauce pan pour 1 cup water and a dash of salt, cover with lid.  Heat on high until boiling. Add rice and cover, bring back to a boil. Once water/rice mixture is boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment