Orange Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 egg whites
3 sticks of unsalted butter, cut into 1Tbsp pieces, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 Tbsp orange juice
zest of one orange
2 drops orange oil (optional)
- Zest one orange and juice; set aside.
- Place sugar and egg whites in the heat-proof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water and that steam doesn't get out, a double boiler works best for this). Whisk until sugar has dissolved and egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers; it should feel completely smooth (you wont feel the sugar granules).
- Transfer bowl to mixer stand, making sure that you dont get any of the condensation from the bottom bowl into the egg whites. Using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until mixture has cooled completely and formed stiff and glossy peaks (be careful not to over whip and dry out your egg whites), about 10 minutes.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated after each addition. Don't worry if the buttercream appears curdled after all the butter has been added; it will become smooth again with continued beating. Add vanilla, and beat just until combined.
- Add orange juice, orange zest and salt and beat just until combined. Switch to the paddle attachment,and beat on the lowest speed to eliminate any air pockets, about 5 minutes until the strawberries are completely incorporated and all the air pockets are gone.