Thursday, October 27, 2011

Taco Soup


Taco Soup... just reading the name makes you wonder what the heck! The name is a contradiction unto its self, taco's are not soups! Or are they? Well, no... but they can be!
I first learned about Taco Soup when I was in Junior High School foods class, I was surprised at how incredibly good it tasted.  I mean hello, its a taco in a soup!
Sadly enough when I went to find that recipe for the massive craving I had for Taco Soup, I could not find my over-stuffed binder of recipes.  So I did the next best thing, I looked on the internet for a recipe! (Imagine that *giggle* ).  I found a lot of recipes that have ranch dressing mix in the soup, and Im sorry, but last time I had a taco I did NOT add ranch.. in fact the very idea of ranch in my tacos makes me queasy. It could have something to do with my severe dislike for ranch, but my husband agreed that it just did not sound right.  So I found this recipe, and while I did add more meat and less kidney beans, it tasted just like a taco. Imagine that ;) Enjoy.

Taco Soup 
(Recipe from Our Best Bites)

Ingredients:
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
 1 1.25-oz. packet taco seasoning (about 1/4 c.)
 3 c. water, divided
 2 28-oz. cans diced tomatoes
 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
 2 15-oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
 1 can corn, drained

Toppings: Pico de Gallo, light sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, tortilla strips, guacamole, etc.

Directions:
Heat a large soup pot over medium.
When ready, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic.
When almost brown, add the taco seasoning and 1 c. water.
Add the remaining ingredients, including the remaining 2 c. water, bring to a medium boil, then, cover and reduce heat.
Simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Serve with desired toppings.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment