Saturday, January 7, 2012

Blueberry Compote


With how many pancakes that my family eats, I'm honestly surprised that I haven't posted this recipe before. I LOVE blueberry compote, more than any other fruit or berry compote I LOVE blueberry compote.  Which is probably why my children rarely ever see maple syrup, besides the fact that the "good stuff" is $20+ a container.  No joke here's a pic from my shopping yesterday "real syrup is expensive!" If I could, I'd probably eat the compote straight I love it that much.  So here's a recipe that I've kind of thrown together over the years.


Blueberry Compote

Ingredients
18oz  blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cornstarch (optional)
2 tbsp water (optional)

Directions
  1. Wash your blueberries, removing any stems or bad berries.  Pour into a medium sauce pan along with sugar and lemon juice.  in a small container mix together cornstarch and water. 
  2. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally
  3. After roughly 5 min add in cornstarch/water mixture, this will cause the mixture to thicken and become opaque, this is an optional step. Cook for roughly 5 more minutes or until mixture becomes syrupy.  Dont heat for longer or berries will begin to loose their shape and become mushy.  If you skipped the cornstarch step, you still will cook for roughly 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and keep warm. 
  5. Generously use to top pancakes, waffles, ice cream and more.
Step 2

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment