Monday, February 20, 2012

Bubble Tea

I LOVE bubble tea or should I say pearl milk tea as what most Americans think of as "bubble tea" is actually pearl milk tea. Bubble tea is actually the mix with the bubbles in it, find more info about it (here).
Anyways, I digress, I LOVE this stuff but my wallet really cant afford for me to buy it from the bubble tea/boba restaurant all the time.  So on one of my (weekly?) trips to the asian market last year I found this mix for bubble tea and the boba pearls to go with.  Since then I have been in love with the fact that I can make myself bubble tea any time I want for less than a fraction of the cost!

Seriously, bubble tea costs on average $4 per drink, estimated with 12 oz tea with 2-4 oz bubbles.  Mix costs $19, makes aprox. 34- 12oz teas; the tapioca pearls cost $2 per container, make aprox 5- 1/3 cup (2-2/3 oz) servings.  So lets do the math, 1 bag of mix- $19, plus 6 bags of pearls- $12; so $31, for roughly 30 teas I make at home.  If I bought those 30 teas at the store it would cost me $120.

In the picture I am using Possmei's Bubble Tea Mix, Green Tea All in 1 Instant Powder, I am giving directions as to their mix which is used in all Possmei's bubble tea restaurants.  My Tapioca pearls are from WuFuYuan, I'm using the basic pearls, there are multiple types and flavors, I will be using their directions, their tapioca pearls are ready in 5 min. I however do make my pearls in sugar water to make them sweeter. (1/2 cup sugar per 3 cups water) if you so choose.  This recipe makes 1, but is easily upscaled.

Ingredients
For tea:
4 Tbsp (2oz) Bubble Tea mix
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup ice

For Tapioca Pearls:
3 cups water
1/3 cup pearls

Directions:
For Tea:
Dissolve Bubble tea mix in hot water, then add ice and pearls, stir to dissolve ice.

For a frozen drink in blender, combine mix and liquid substituting hot water for milk or cold water. Blend until smooth. Pour into glass and add pearls if desired.

For Tapioca Pearls:
  1. Bring water to a rolling boil on high, pour the tapioca pearls into the water slowly. Stir softly. 
  2. After the Tapioca becomes plump (it will rise to the surface), turn heat down to medium and cover for 5 minutes. 
  3. After 5 minutes scoop the pearls out and they are ready to serve.  
  4. To make pearls sweeter, you can cover the pearls in sugar or honey.
  5. Pour desired amount into drink and enjoy

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment