Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cashew Chicken (腰果鸡丁)


Well first off I have to apologize for not posting this recipe sooner.  My husband and I found it a LONG time ago (like a year!) but I lost the recipe before I was able to get around and post it. Thank you non-move. It wasn't until about a week ago that he found it again and we were able to make it. YAY!

This recipe has a few steps, but trust me the end product is WELL worth it.

This recipe was found at RasaMalaysia, to which I will probably post more of her food again soon. SO GOOD!

One thing I never knew, even after working at a place that cooked Chinese food for 6 years was that they use baking soda to make the chicken/beef/pork super tender -- hey it was in a huge tub, I quickly learned to not ask questions that may contain words in Mandarin that I didn't know (I speak it on about a one or two year old level).  I can tell you one thing, I probably will never go back to making Chinese food without this little secret!

Cashew Chicken (腰果鸡丁)
Makes two GOOD size servings, or four moderate servings

Ingredients
1 boneless & skinless chicken breast, about 10 oz - cut into small cubes
1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
1 small green bell pepper, about 4 oz. - cut into small square pieces
5 slices ginger
1/4 onion - cut into small square pieces

Marinade
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp rice wine

Sauce:
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
3/4 tsp soy sauce
3 tbsp water
3 dashes white pepper powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp rice wine
1/8 tsp sesame oil
salt to taste

Instructions:
  1. Cut up chicken and place in the baking soda for 15-20 minutes, then rinse chicken off thoroughly, making sure NO baking soda remains.
  2. While chicken marinates cut up ginger, onion and bell pepper (second time around I also added a frozen "asian mixed vegetables"), set vegetables aside.
  3. Once chicken has marinated and has been rinsed thoroughly pat dry with paper towels, then marinate with remaining marinade ingredients for an additional 15 minutes.
  4. Mix sauce together while chicken marinates, set aside
  5. Heat wok on high and then add 1 tbsp of cooking oil and stir-fry the chicken until the color turns white, or half-cooked.  Remove from wok and set aside.
  6. Add another 1 tbsp of cooking oil into the wok and add in the vegetables. Stir-fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the green peppers and then add the chicken back in.
  7. Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is cooked and well coated with the sauce.  Salt to taste.
  8. Add in cashews and stir well just before serving.  Serve over steamed rice.

Note: if you're not using a wok, I do not recommend cooking this on high, probably a med-high instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment