Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream



I love chocolate, I love hazelnuts, give me chocolate covered hazelnuts I'm in heaven.  Think about how I reacted about 7 years ago when my (then) mother-in-law handed me my first container of chocolate hazelnut spread? I was elated, I probably squealed with joy (no joke).  Because, lets face it, chocolate and hazelnut are better buds than peanut butter and jelly, and they're tight.
I recently found a recipe from Scoop Adventures, where she made chocolate hazelnut ice cream.  Yep, ice cream, my new favorite addition (and my waist lines least favorite).  So I of course, had to make it.

I was surprised to see that she used very little ingredients. While the original recipe suggests one use Nutella brand chocolate hazelnut spread, I would also like to put out there that Jif now makes one as well, I haven't tried Jif's spread yet because I already had a container and a half at my house (running out is never an option).  If you've tried Jif's spread, please let me know, I'm very interested!

As always when making ice cream remember not to skimp out on the milk fats, they help create a smoother ice cream with smaller ice crystals.  I also suggest always grinding your sugars in a food processor or blender for 15-20 sec whenever you make a recipe that doesn't cook them to create a smoother texture when finished.

This recipe makes just slightly more than my ice cream maker can easily freeze in 20-25 minutes, so roughly just over 1.5 quarts.

Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream
Recipe from Scoop Adventures

3/4 cup (235 g) Nutella
1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
1 1/3 cups (330 ml) whole milk
1 1/3 cups (330 ml) heavy cream
Pinch of salt

Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food process and process until smooth.
Chill mixture in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Once ice cream base is thoroughly chilled, pour base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  Pack the ice cream into a plastic container.
Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment