Friday, May 25, 2012

Coffee Frozen (Greek) Yogurt


It's nearing the end of term at school, there's about three weeks left if you include finals week, and I am completely and utterly burnt out when it comes to writing essays. It seems as if every class requires me to write some form of essay every week, which would be great if I actually liked writing essays or could write about whatever pleased me as long as it had something to do with the class subject.

Today I've been sitting at my desk staring at my computer willing it to inspire me to write an epic (or even semi-epic?) research project/essay about the disaster at Fukushima, while maintaining an objective stance, which is easier said than done the more you research the situation (I've spent the last 8 weeks researching this ONE topic).

After a quick rant status about writers block and a 6 page rough draft due in a matter of days, one of my friends commented with "Studies on creativity and writer's block show that you should take a break, then try to do something in the mind of a 7 year old."  

The mind of a 7 yr old you say? What does my 7 yr old son always want? Ice cream.  Well ice cream would take me away from staring at my computer for at least a little while, it's slightly creative, yeah I could do that.  Now to figure out what kind of ice cream to make, about the same time I realized my coffee cup was empty, and I needed more.

Coffee ice cream, sounded good, but making a base and waiting for it to cool when I'm in a hurry, isn't my forte (see strawberry banana sorbet for reference). Coffee frozen yogurt I could do though... I always have chilled coffee on hand. Except one thing, I only buy Greek yogurt as I'm not a fan of the texture of regular yogurt.  So quickly adapting some of the coffee frozen yogurts I've skimmed over the past few months I've been on Pinterest, I did a mix of a few of them to create this.

You will need espresso, or really strong coffee, fresh ground is best. 
I use Panama: Finca Los Cantares, which is from the Panama/Costa Rica border, you can buy it from Costco in whole bean form. Jim Stewart, the founder of Seattle's Best, commented that "its [Los Cantares] flavor is crisp, bright and snappy, and as it rolls over the tongue and hits the roof of your mouth, it's like a buttery Chardonnay. What a coffee!"(GlobeNewswire). I've been drinking this coffee for months, and don't know how I ever palated the other brands that you find at the grocery store (especially pre-ground), and I drink a LOT of coffee.. around 6 cups a day to be honest.

This frozen Greek yogurt is lightly sweet and smooth on the tongue with a nice tangy aftertaste that is indicative of frozen yogurt.   Definitely what I needed for a mid-day pick me up.

Coffee Frozen Greek Yogurt

Ingredients:
1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
1 cup espresso or strong coffee, cold
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar, ground
1 pinch salt, ground
1/4 tsp finely ground coffee

Directions:
Measure out your sugar and your salt and grind them in your food processor or blender, while this is optional, it will create a smoother texture to your finished product.
In a bowl whisk together all ingredients, if mixture is room temperature, chill for two hours, otherwise pour into your ice cream machine and make per manufactures instructions.

Note: You will have smaller ice crystals in your frozen yogurt if you use whole milk yogurt vs. fat free yogurt.  I chose to use fat free because I have it on hand, and the yogurt will be consumed before I have to worry about any formed ice crystals.

A bit of taste testing to make sure it was what I was hoping for...

Really not my day today...

No comments:

Post a Comment