Monday, May 28, 2012

The Land of Milk and Honey (Ice Cream)



Without going into a Biblical reference, (the land of) "Milk and Honey" are synonymous with a place where luxuries are plentiful and easily acquired. This ice cream is a perfect match, created by freezing pudding! Pudding you say? Yes, I do say.  To make this recipe you first create a simple egg-less pudding (from scratch, no cheating here!), once cold you turn that into ice cream and then marble it with honey.  How could one not be in a luxurious land when eating it?
After finding the deliciously decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream at Scoop Adventures, I noticed a link to this beauty.  Milk and Honey, I thought, why yes I do deserve to be pampered.  While I still haven't finished (or started for that matter) the essay I was trying to write when I made Coffee Frozen (Greek) Yogurt, I've had a long week! This weekend has also been hectic with attempting to entertain my 7, 5, and 4 year old kids while we were at the lake fishing... did I mention that my oldest is autistic and has ADHD? I think that figures in somewhere with how worn out I feel, and how messy my house is right now. So while my husband's buddies take him out for a drink for Memorial Day (he served in the Air Force), I am at home with the three kiddos making ice cream and cleaning, before spending tomorrow doing homework... lots and lots of homework...  yes, I deserve some pampering tonight...

For better tasting ice cream, use a good quality honey.  I use a locally made honey that I buy at the Farmers Market, I suggest you look around you and do the same, the different flavors that local honey makers are able to produce are much better than the classic clover you can buy at the supermarket.

The Land of Milk and Honey (Ice Cream)
Recipe from Scoop Adventures

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons high-quality honey

Directions:
Combine cornstarch and heavy cream in a small bowl and whisk to combine.

Combine the milk and sugar together in a saucepan and warm over medium heat.  Remove from heat and slowly pour cornstarch slurry into the milk mixture, whisking to combine.

Return pan to medium heat and warm until the mixture begins to boil.  Remove from heat and continue to stir for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to release the steam. Refrigerate for several hours, until well chilled.

Once chilled, pour ice cream base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  When ice cream is complete, drizzle a small layer of honey into the bottom of a plastic container (or other container for ice cream) and lightly spoon a layer of ice cream on top.  Continue to alternate layers of honey and ice cream until the container is full.  Do not stir or ice cream will lose the swirls of honey.

Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream (to prevent ice crystals) and close with an airtight lid.  Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment