Friday, May 18, 2012

Pomegranate Lime Sorbet



My husband bought me an ice cream maker for Mother's Day (I think he's trying to butter me up to buy him a new grill for Father's Day).  The first thing I made from it was an Odwalla Blueberry B Sorbet... of sorts, more like I froze my core and then poured my drink in and waited until it was frozen, well, mostly frozen (I'm impatient), it was great and really satisfied my sweet tooth as well as was really healthy.
At dinner tonight I poured myself a glass of Pom Pomegranate Juice and decided it was strong, so I added a squirt of lime juice to it and it was perfect.  First thought through my mind? I need this frozen! So I looked in the little book that came with my ice cream maker and everything pretty much said I had to make a simple syrup to get it right.  Ok, that's easy, simple syrup there I went!  That was the easy part, silly me... in my haste to cool down my syrup so I can be eating ice cream quicker I poured the liquid into one of my tall cobalt blue cups (if you know me, my cobalt blue glassware is my pride and joy in the kitchen).  Immediately I heard a loud *POP* sound, almost as quickly came the simple syrup pouring out the crack that ran almost completely around the glass, and from top to bottom.  *sigh* So I made my simple syrup, again, and this time cooled it in the pan on my cutting board... then in a bowl with ice cubes in a plastic baggy, hey don't judge! I wanted sorbet and I wanted it NOW!!
Once it was cool and mixed with my pomegranate mixture I grabbed my ice cream machine and poured in my mixture.  My ice cream maker says "ice cream in as little as 20 minutes!" it wasn't even 10 minutes before I was poking and prodding the sorbet willing it to freeze faster, smoother, richer.  This was meant to be, my mouth watered as I watched it slowly become thicker and more creamy looking, as soon as the 20 minutes came I turned off my machine and took a picture, oh it was beautiful.  My mouth watered as I took the first bite, perfect.  I dished some up for my husband and kids (because sharing is caring, right?). The kids of which gobbled theirs down in the blink of an eye; my husband of course (the popcorn gallery, of sorts) tells me it tastes too much like pomegranate and I should have added in some vanilla ice cream to it, he's lucky I love him.  Though I do think a pomegranate frozen yogurt is not too far around the corner, I'll keep you posted.  ^.^

Pomegranate Lime Sorbet

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups Pom Pomagrante Juice
2-3 tablespoons lime juice

Directions:
  1. Stir water and sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves. 
  2. Take off heat and combine with the pomegranate juice. 
  3. Add 2 tbsp lime juice and stir to combine, add more to taste.
  4. Chill the mixture thoroughly, pour into your ice cream machine and make according to the manufacturer’s instructions. 
  5. Enjoy!


Disclaimer: I am not paid to endorse Pom or Odwalla, I just think they are quality products that I am comfortable feeding to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment