Sunday, May 20, 2012

Strawberry Banana Sorbet



Lets face it, I don't think there will be one time in my house that things go exactly the way I want them to.  So I went to make Strawberry-Banana Sorbet last night, got my simple syrup going, threw in a few of my sweetened frozen berries (hey when you know you're not going to finish the box before they spoil cut them up add some sugar, toss them into your freezer and you're good to go!). As I was saying I made a simple syrup with a small handful of berries in them and then poured the still hot syrup into my blender, to which I noted was apparently not screwed on well enough and out poured a large portion of my simple syrup.  Can I ever catch a break? Not likely!

After fixing that problem I added in more frozen berries and some frozen banana to help cool it down, after what seemed like forever I added it to my frozen core and waited... and then waited more, then realized my core was no longer frozen because my strawberry syrup while no longer hot when I had poured it into the core, was still too warm to turn into ice cream (this is what I get for being impatient).  Reluctantly I poured my strawberry syrup, by then was the consistency of say soft set pudding, into some air tight containers and placed them in the fridge.  I *could* have put them in my freezer and stirred every 30 minutes and made my sorbet that way, but it would not have come with the creamy texture that you get by making it in an ice cream maker.

Who knows, maybe this will help me write my essay for my archaeology mid-term due on Monday morning.  Anything's possible.

Strawberry Banana Sorbet

Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries, rough chopped, save 1 to 1/2 cup for "mix-ins"
1-2 very ripe bananas (these should be spotted bananas! Spots = sugar)
2 cups water
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (depending on the sweetness of your berries and bananas, make sure to taste!)

Directions:
Hull strawberries and rough chop them, put 1 cup to 1/2 cup aside for mixing in later.
In a small sauce pan heat water and sugar until the sugar is just dissolved, pour your simple syrup into your blender with strawberries and banana(s), blend until smooth.
Taste to see if you need to add any more sugar or not.  Once desired sweetness is obtained chill mixture completely (this is not optional, see above commentary as for why!)
Once the mixture is cold, pour into your ice cream machine and make according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment