Monday, June 4, 2012

Blueberry-Vanilla Ice Cream



After looking in my freezer I noticed that I had two "milk" ice creams and a chocolate ice cream, but not one berry or fruit flavor.  So I brought out some blueberries from my freezer and threw them into a sauce pan with some sugar and a touch of whole milk.  Once my berries were thawed I liquified them and then ran 3/4 of them through a sieve to remove some of the seeds. Threw that back into my sauce pan with my cream/cornstarch mixture and 1/3 cup chopped berries, then brought that mixture to a boil.. cooled it off and then poured it into my ice cream freezer.  A few minutes before the ice cream was finished I added in the last 1/3 cup of berries into the mix so that there could be some whole berries in the bunch.

Blueberry-Vanilla Ice Cream 

Ingredients
2 cups blueberries
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
pinch salt

Directions
Combine cornstarch and heavy cream in a small bowl and whisk to combine.

Combine the blueberries, milk and sugar together in a saucepan and warm over medium heat.  Remove from heat and slowly pour cornstarch slurry into the milk mixture, whisking to combine.

Return pan to medium heat and warm until the mixture begins to boil.  Remove from heat and continue to stir for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to release the steam. Refrigerate for several hours, until well chilled.

Once chilled, pour ice cream base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. About 5 minutes before ice cream is done, add in vanilla extract and any reserved whole blueberries. Place into freezer until firm (around 2-4 hours).

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment