Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fresh Mango Sorbet


In my house "dessert" can vary from some decedent cake or custard, to something as simple at a piece of fruit.  It really is all in the presentation.  Tonight I gave my kids "porcupine" mangoes, which for my 7, 5, and 4 year old kiddos is almost the coolest dessert ever.  My husband of course looks at them and goes, "can you make mine into sorbet?" Why yes darling, I can.
So I looked for some recipes for mango sorbet, and found a nice little site from Egypt.  Since mangoes are one of their native fruits in the summer, it just seemed right.

For decoration I sprinkled a bit of chile powder on them, not a lot, just enough for it to warm your tongue that first lick.

Fresh Mango Sorbet
Recipe slightly adapted from Egypt Independent

Ingredients:
4 large mangoes
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
½ cup lime juice

 Directions:
1. In advance, boil sugar in water till it dissolves completely. Then place in the fridge to chill - this is called simple syrup and is necessary to sweeten the sorbet if you are using ripe mangoes. If you are using canned mangoes in syrup, you do not need this syrup.
2. Remove mango flesh from the four mangoes and blend in a blender.
3. Add syrup and lime juice to blender and blend till totally mixed.
4. Pour mixture into your bowl and leave to chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Mix according to your ice cream makers instructions. Place into an air tight container with plastic wrap touching the sorbet (this inhibits ice crystals). Chill for 2-4 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment