Friday, September 7, 2012

Homemade Pediasure

Meet Bug.

Bug, is small for her age.
Bug is an extremely intelligent 4-1/2 yr old, who still fits in 18 month shorts and skirts.
For the last year and a half Bug has been drinking pediasure twice a day to help her gain weight.
As of June she was up to 32 lbs and was 44 inches tall, giving her a BMI of 11.71
This puts her at a BMA (average BMI for kids her age) of 0.69, yes she is BELOW the 1%
This is actually an improvement from where we started, scary but true.

Up until March she had a prescription from her Developmental Pediatrician for the pediasure.
Because of her (significant) improvement her Dev. Pedi closed her case and her script.
She lost weight (2lbs in 3 months), her normal Pedi became worried.
Instead of giving us another script gave me the recipe to make pediasure at home.

Bug still likes drinking it, so its a "win" in my book.

Homemade Pediasure

Mix together:
32 ounces of whole milk
1/4 tsp Bronson's powder (order at pharmacy or if they have "ostomy" supplies it may be there already)

Then to each 8 ounces add:
7.5cc of cooking oil (olive oil might not taste good)
7.5cc (1.5tsp) of a sweetener like molasses or honey
may add any flavoring desired and may put into blender with ice cream to make a shake

(Note: I had NO CLUE what my daughter's pedi meant by "bronson's powder," because Bronson makes a LOT of vitamins in powder form, so I chose the "all insurance vitamin powder" because it had EVERYTHING in it)


6 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this out. My picky autistic son is so hard to feed that we worry about his health. We have tried giving him Pediasure, but it is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very expensive to buy Pediasure, I hope that your son likes this as an alternative. My autistic son likes this when I make it into a shake, but not when its just in drink form.

      Because I know how hard it can be to get an autistic child to eat, I would also look into if your son's pedi will give you a prescription of pediasure. Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, you may be able to claim it on your taxes (source: Smart Money http://www.smartmoney.com/taxes/income/tax-breaks-on-medical-costs-19613/ )
      Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. I know I'm just seeing this post now, but I'd really like to try this alternative. I'd switched to Carnation Breakfast essentials due to the cost of Pediasure, but I hate all the extra sugar. Also, it still costs more than I'd like. Two questions...

    (1) I'd like to try coconut oil (tastes yummy!)...have you tried that? Also, did you have trouble with oil clumping? And if so, how did you remedy that?

    (2) My child has a food aversion (he won't even drink smoothies with nothing other than milk, banana, and Nutella. I mean come on!). Is your daughter picky at all? Does she like this alternative? I've tried so many things.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry that it's taken me so long to reply to your comment, I've been quite ill as of late.

      We don't cook with coconut oil, I'm sure that it does taste yummy. The main use of coconut oil in our house is for bath and body products. If you are having an issue with coconut oil clumping it could be the temperature of your house/fridge/pantry. While this may seem odd it is because coconut oil is high in saturated fats, which have a tendency to coagulate in cooler temperatures. Coconut oil actually has one the highest naturally occurring amount of saturated fats than any other oil, including lard.

      My daughter is very picky and does have a lot of food aversions, however she hasn't had a problem with the smoothies, yet (knock on wood). I have found that having the child help choose and prepare the meal makes them more likely to eat the meal. It doesn't always work, but its well worth a shot.

      ~ Marvel

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try this with my son hope he will drink it, he lives of pediasure and it is so costly! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This smoothie looks amazing. As with another poster up above I have a child with some food aversions who needs to gain height and weight. I just wanted to take a second to thank you for the brilliant suggestion of getting a prescription for pediasure. We will be talking to our son's primary physician as soon as possible about that!

    ReplyDelete