Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Perfect Omelet

 Update: 9/4/12 - We made a kids omelet "pizza" for them this morning. HUGE hit! (just don't flip over the omelet before serving)

No pic of the one he made me this morning because I ate my half before I realized he hadn't taken a pic of it yet...  I was a hungry girl!

My husband has always complained that he couldn't cook an omelet, which made it impossible for him to make us breakfast.  So he scoured the internet for tips on making the perfect omelet, of course without ever asking me. While I was at school one day he tested the recipe that he found and was glad to inform me when I got home that he had made the perfect omelet while I was away.

Today he made us an omelet to share, and sadly it didn't work out perfectly as it had before, as it stuck in one spot causing it to brown more than he was intending, most likely caused by the cooking spray missing one little tiny part of the pan, but it was quite delicious. (not to mention I've had browner eggs at restaurants)

He found the recipe on YouTube, on Jack Scalfani's (Jakatak69) in his "Cooking With Jack Show" Channel.  He apparently has a lot of other very useful tips for cooking as well, you should check him out sometime.

The Perfect Omelet

Ingredients

3 eggs
splash of milk
butter or non-stick cooking spray
"mix-ins" (onions, tomatoes, ham, bacon, bell peppers, etc)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
cheese, shredded

Directions

Preheat an oven safe pan (it MUST be able to withstand a 350*f oven) on the stove over medium heat.
While pan is heating up, scramble your eggs in a bowl and add a splash of milk to help bring the yolks incorporate fully with the whites. (I add a bit of salt and pepper at this stage, and then again at the end to taste.)
Once pan is heated cover with cooking spray or butter.
Turn oven onto broil.
Pour egg mixture into pan, when egg base starts to solidify pour your "mix-ins" on top of egg mixture, and some of the grated cheese.
Place your pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, just until cheese is melted. DO NOT CLOSE THE OVEN DOOR, as it will turn your omelet into charcoal.
Slide onto a plate, folding the omelet in half.  Salt and pepper to taste, top with any desired toppings such as salsa and more cheese.
Enjoy.



The original video, that I've "adapted" slightly

No comments:

Post a Comment