Friday, December 28, 2012

Apple - Butternut Squash dessert

Every year I buy a butternut squash for my fall center piece, and each year I try to do something different with it.  This year I decided to try and make a nice dessert out of the squash and forgetting about it in my crock pot. Simple enough, I thought.  I had forgotten that it is hard to peel those things!

Once I was able to get through the peeling and dicing my prep-time was next to nothing, exactly what I wanted for our post-holiday clean-up day.  My poor house is slowly coming back from the disaster area that took over it following my daughter's 6th birthday party which entailed not only the kids building their own pizzas but cookie decorating with all all of my decorating tools available.
 Calling it a mess would have been underwhelming to say the least...

We giggled with the kids and their "goofy" house decorating antics.
Days later we celebrated Christmas in an unusual fashion for our family, usually our main time to open presents is on Christmas Eve with only a few presents opened on Christmas Day with the kids. However, this year my mom decided that she was "The Grinch" and the only things available at her house on Christmas Eve was dinner and talking with the family, no presents were to be exchanged, period.

So we instead woke up really early on Christmas morning and opened them all at once! We were barely finished opening them in time before my kids had to leave for their Christmas with my ex-husband, the last present was opened with barely minutes to spare.
 
Our family has been truly blessed this year, not only have we been able to maintain our lifestyle with me being out of work for so long due to medical issues, but we were also able to give our children the Birthday parties and Christmas' that they desired.  I can only hope to do so well next year.

Apple - Butternut Squash Dessert

Ingredients

1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 cup Spiced Apple Cider (if you use regular Apple Cider, add 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
1/4 cup Brown Sugar, packed

Directions

Peel and cube butternut squash, add to crock pot.
Mix the melted butter and brown sugar, pour over squash. Add in apple cider, stir well to evenly coat.
Cover, cook on low for 4-8 hours or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment