Monday, March 25, 2013

Life... and Chicken noodle soup


Life has a tendency to get the best of me even when I have good intentions.

January, was not my month... February and March were better, but I was so busy with school and work I barely had time to sleep let alone write blog entries.

My month started like all "good months start" with my car's transmission going out, which if we were a multi-car family or perhaps not the main car used for carpooling because I'm the one with kids who have to get to/from school.
Followed shortly by... my son tripping and falling over his own feet at school and me getting a frantic call from his school unsure of if he needs stitches, which the doctor said he didn't, but I think he should have had one or two.
Let us not forget he did the same thing last March, which involved 2 stitches, because of blood I wont be showing that one however.

Then everyone in the house got the flu, the really really bad one that made people feel like they were part of the zombie hoard in The Walking Dead? Yeah, we all got that, then managed to give it back to each other for a second, and third time around.

 What this wonderful germ infested winter did however give our family was a good, and simple way to make chicken noodle soup. With little prep we could go to school feeling like death warmed over and come home to comfort food that has been scientifically proven to make you get better quickly.

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients

8 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 Cornish hen, whole
4 tsp salt, to taste
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
3 cups wide egg noodles

Directions

In a 4-1/2 to 6-quart crock pot, combine broth, vegetables, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper into crock-pot.
On top of vegetables place the Cornish hen, put bay leaves among the vegetables, but where they can be easily removed.
Cover and put on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-6 hours.
Remove hen and bay leaves from pot. Discard Bay Leaves. Add noodles, cook for 20 minutes covered.
While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, bones and fat from chicken. Shred chicken, and return to pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment