Friday, June 21, 2013

Carmel Bacon Stuffed French Toast, includes Sweet French Toast and White Chocolate Custard Recipes

What we call Caramel Bacon Stuffed French Toast at my house

A few months ago I went out to breakfast with the girls at Denny's during their Baconalia event. I fell in love with their Carmel Bacon Stuffed French Toast even though its probably one of the least healthy items I've ever eaten there.  It's bacon, white chocolate, and caramel on top of french toast, how could I not love it?
What Denny's had promised me
The pictures on tv made it seem like this epically stuffed french toast that just oozed with bacon and filling that I couldn't resist. The truth however... was not as epic, until I took my first bite.
What Denny's served me
Now, I am not going to deny that the french toast was amazing when I ate it.  Which is why I had to come up with a way to repeat this experience, but with baconalia over, I had to figure it out on my own.
No problem! I'm a classically trained chef I told myself, what I wasn't expecting was to find conflicting statements on what type of filling was used. Was it a white chocolate ganache filling? Or maybe it was a white chocolate cream cheese filling? I had no clue, nor could I remember anything further than "this is an epic breakfast," so I am settling with a white chocolate custard.  May not be the exact recipe, but it sure tastes amazing.
The french toast serving size is for 4, but the custard recipe serving size is for 6, because I like a LOT of custard on my french toast.

Carmel Bacon Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients
8 slices Sweet French Toast (recipe follows)
1 recipe - white chocolate custard (recipe follows)
1/2 lb cooked bacon, crumbled
caramel sauce

Directions
On a plate put one piece of sweet french toast, top with a generous amount of custard and a sprinkling of bacon. Place another piece of french toast on top of custard, sprinkle bacon on top and drizzle with caramel sauce.


Sweet French Toast

Ingredients
8 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
8 slices bread
1/4 cup milk
6 tsp sugar

Directions
In a shallow dish, beat egg, sugar, milk and vanilla well.
Heat griddle or pan on medium heat. Coat with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Soak each side of bread in egg mixture until wet, but not soggy, about 10-20 seconds a side.
Grill each side until golden brown.
Remove from heat. Serve, top as desired.


White Chocolate Custard

Ingredients
1/4 lb white cooking chocolate, chopped
1 cup milk
1 1/3 cup cream
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Directions
Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set aside.
Combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan and stir over medium heat until hot but do not allow the mixture to boil.
Whisk egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar in a medium bowl until the mixture is smooth and thick and whisk hot milk mixture, into egg yolk mixture.
 Return mixture to saucepan and whisk constantly, over a low heat for about four minutes, or until custard thickens.
Pour custard over the chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
Serve warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment