Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sweet dry rub



This sweet dry rub was created by my friend David, in an attempt to make a rub that was low in fats and oils so that I could eat it as well.  This rub is very sweet due to the large amount of sugars in it, if you're not in the mood for something as sweet adjust your ratios. Can be used on beef, pork, chicken and vegetables.

The recipes from David are always done in ratios or percentages. Start with the larger percentages first, then incrementally go down the list.  This allows you to determine how much of the smaller mixtures you are going to need and reduces the guess work.
When working with a recipe that deals with percentages or ratios it allows the chef to adjust the recipe to their specific tastes.

This means if it says 30% of brown sugar, you want brown sugar to be 1/3 of the total recipe.  So if I want 1 cup of rub, I will use 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar, and so on.
It becomes slightly more difficult when you are using a mixture with a percentage, always start off with LESS than you feel you will need of each ingredient and mix them in a measuring cup so that you don't go over your percentage.
Once you have all of the ingredients that are in the percentage mixture, go back and adjust your increments of the ingredients you want to be more dominate, such as if you want something to have more of a kick, add in more paprika, etc., keeping in mind that your increments should be small and all need to be within the percentage/ratio.

I usually aim for 1 cup rub unless I'm having a party, where I make 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups, and I almost always have some rub leftover.

Sweet Dry Rub

35% - Brown Sugar
35% - White Sugar

20% - Paprika
        - rosemary
        - cumin
        - salt
        - cinnamon

10% - garlic, fresh, chopped
        - molasses
        - Johnson's meat tenderizer
        - McCormick BBQ rub

Directions
1.) Figure out how much rub you want to make total, see above for directions about percentages.
2.) Measure out your sugars put into a medium bowl.
3.) After making your percentage mixtures combine with the sugar mixtures. Let set for 1-2 hours for flavors to combine.
4.) Before cooking meat, generously rub the dry rub into the meat, if desired, let set for an hour for the meat to absorb the rub mixture.


For the percentage mixtures:

I start out with 1/4 tsp of each ingredient, except for salt, as the meat tenderizer contains a lot of salt.  Then I adjust my paprika first, then my rosemary and cumin, finally my cinnamon.  I don't touch the salt again until the very end, after I've added in the tenderizer.

When a recipe calls for garlic in a percentage I usually chop 1/2 a clove, and then adjust as I go on.  For this recipe your only moisture is in your molasses and garlic, use more molasses than other ingredients in this percentage, I would start with 1 1/2 tsp - 1 Tbsp, and then adjust accordingly.  Remember 1 cup has 16 Tablespoons, so 1 Tbsp is a lot for a 1 cup mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment