Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hawaiian Shoyu Chicken



I love Hawaii, I miss Hawaii, and I dream about Hawaii.  However, financially I can't afford to hop on a plane and go visit Hawaii.  For me, one of the biggest things that sticks out when I travel is the food; if the food's not worth eating, you won't see me returning, and let me tell you, Hawaii has some of the best food I've tasted.  My favorite part of Hawaiian food was the hole in the wall restaurants where the locals would eat and not the super trendy, super spendy tourist spots, where you could get some amazing food for some rock bottom prices.  One of those such meals was the "plate lunch" where you got a heaping scoops of meat, rice and macaroni salad.

This style plate lunch has been becoming more and more famous with all the little Hawaiian style restaurants popping up here and there.  Their food is good, don't get me wrong, however, like my ability to hop on a plane to Hawaii, there's no way I can afford $8 a plate for my family of five on a recurrent basis. Lets also not forget that both my husband and son can eat not one, but two plates each.

Hungry for Hawaiian food, I looked up some recipes and stumbled upon Heather Likes Food, who had not just the macaroni salad, but also the chicken.  Oh happy day.  I immediately went to the store and bought the three missing ingredients to the recipe.  I put it all together, except for the extra sauce, and waited.  Oh, how would this taste? Would it be as good as the real thing? I have to say that it was nothing short of amazing, if this isn't an authentic recipe, I would be surprised!

Enjoy!
Marvel

Me, enjoying a scenic hike on Kauai

Hawaiian Shoyu Chicken

Ingredients
Chicken:
3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
1 1/2 C soy sauce*
1 1/2 C water
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 in piece fresh ginger, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

Extra Sauce:
1/4 C soy sauce*
1/4 C water
1/4 C + 2 tbsp sugar

Directions
Chicken:
Chop the ginger and mince the garlic, set aside.
Chop chicken thighs into slightly larger than bite size pieces, they will shrink to bite size in cooking process. Place chicken in a large pot on the stove top or in a slow-cooker.
Combine soy sauce, water, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper, ginger and garlic in a bowl, stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over chicken and stir until all chicken is immersed in sauce.
Stove top-
Bring to a low boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for about 1 hour at a low simmer until the chicken is tender.

Slow cooker-
Cook on LOW for up to 8 hours or HIGH for 4.

Extra Sauce-
Combine all ingredients, stir until sugar is dissolved.

* using gluten free soy sauce can make this recipe gluten free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment