Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hawaiian Style Macaroni




If you read my previous post on Shoyu Chicken, you will know my deep love of Hawaii and of their famous plate lunches.  This is the amazing macaroni salad that goes along side the meat to complete the plate lunch.  It is amazingly simple, yet tastes amazing, it is truly sinfully delicious.

I edited the recipe just a touch to add a bit of sugar that I felt the recipe was lacking, though this could be due to my onion not being overly sweet, I would suggest leaving out the sugar until you've tasted the salad first.  
The last time I was in Hawaii I caught a shot of a beautiful double rainbow.

Hawaiian Style Macaroni Salad

Ingredients
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 C mayonnaise
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp grated white onion
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, more to taste 
1 tsp sugar, to taste, optional

Directions
Grate onion, set aside. Cook macaroni until just tender in salted water. Strain and rinse in cold running water, stir macaroni thoughally. This rinses off the excess starches that make it sticky as well as quickly cools the macaroni stopping the cooking cycle, which otherwise would continue for 3-5 minutes after being removed from heat.
Pour cool macaroni into a large bowl, stir mayonnaise, salt, onion, and pepper into the noodles until well combined. Taste, mixture should have a mild sweetness, add sugar as needed.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If the salad seems dry add a bit of milk, 1 tbsp at a time or a little more mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment